Nora had an appointment yesterday to have her hearing retested. She failed her initial newborn screening when she was first born. However, since she’s been home we’ve become quite certain that she can hear. She startles at loud noises and responds to all of the silly noises going on around here. We hadn’t been in any great hurry to add more hospital / doctor visits to our already brimming schedule. Now that things have settled down just a bit, we decided to revisit her hearing testing. Today’s tests also came back inconclusive. Her ear canals are so narrow that the devices they use to measure the sound weren’t able to operate properly. There is one other option we can do that measures the response to sound by brain waves. She has to be sleeping for that so we’ll need to reschedule for a sleepy time. Not sure how to keep a baby asleep with buzzers and beeps playing in their ears? We shall see… (and hear).
Tomorrow we meet with Nora’s cardiologist to discuss our options in regard to surgery. Our doctor has spoken with the other doctors we received second opinions from. There seems to be a big difference of opinions and we’re anxious to see if there has been any resolution between all 4. While the thought of sending my infant daughter off on a gurney for open heart surgery scares the absolute hell out of me, not doing something that could potentially save her life scares me worse. Please pray for clarity; that God would guide these doctors down the exact path that would be of benefit to Nora and that we would be at peace with whatever route that is.
Pictures from yesterday:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.
(Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT)